The tests are performed at the National Arena, and the interpretation of the test results takes 15 minutes.
The general mayor, Gabriela Firea, specified that the project involves testing 10,500 Bucharest residents, “selected in a representative sample” by specialists from the National Institute of Public Health.
“We will all find out how the virus circulated in the largest community in the country and what is the degree of natural immunization of the population in the Romanian Capital. At the National Arena, in the VIP area, six test areas were organized, which will have five actual areas, with medical staff from ASSMB, each area being corresponding to the persons selected in the sample, for each sector, starting today, the selected persons will receive letters from the Capital City Hall and the six sector town halls. “The person will be able to accept the test or not. It is not mandatory, but we believe it is necessary. First of all, it is not invasive, it is not painful. It is a simple drop of blood from the navel of the finger,” said the mayor general.
Gabriela Firea stated that the test results will be sent to the national authorities. The persons selected for the sample will be informed by letter.
“They will have a telephone number at their disposal, a call center, where they will announce that they want to be tested and an appointment will be made, so that here, at the Arena, no more than 1,500 people will come per day. Monday through Sunday, from eight in the morning until eight in the evening, we try as much as possible – and we will certainly succeed – to avoid congestion, and to keep our distance, both physically and socially, so as not to endanger the medical staff, nor the people who come to be tested “, mentioned Gabriela Firea.
The general mayor, but also the mayors of sectors 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6, present at the National Arena, were also tested. Given that they were not part of the sample, they paid the cost of testing, said Gabriela Firea.
“Better late than never. We had to start this a month and a half ago. To be honest, I’m surprised we’re starting today. I didn’t think we were starting anymore. There were all kinds of blockages. That’s it. That’s how we are. we, the Romanians, sometimes. We get stuck, we put our stick through the fence “, said the mayor of Sector 1, Daniel Tudorache.
The mayor of Sector 5, Daniel Florea, appreciated that the idea of the test, which belonged to the general mayor, is a “sensational” one and can “concretely help in the fight” with COVID-19.
“If the second wave happens to come, we will certainly be much better prepared. The only ones who have taken concrete measures so far in Bucharest are the seven mayors. Unfortunately, the Government has not helped us at all, it does not grant us any kind of support. We hope he recovers, “he said.
In addition to this initiative, the Capital City Hall launched on Friday the “Test for Bucharest” campaign, in which 11,000 people can benefit from a free Real Time PCR test, to find out if they are infected with the new coronavirus. On the platform http://testampentrubucuresti.assmb.ro/ Bucharest residents who are asymptomatic, ie are not in the case definitions established by the National Institute of Public Health and who wish to participate in the project on a voluntary basis, can register. 9,000 people signed up for this campaign.