IDC study shows COVID-19’s impact on business IT spending


A new study ordered by Google shows that 60 percent of companies have not changed anything or that they will spend more this year. The other 40 percent expects to spend less budget on IT expenses.

For 2021, the IDC study shows that 66 percent of companies will leave their budgets unchanged or will spend more. It is generally expected that there will be an economic recovery next year. According to the latest forecast, the global IT budget will increase by $ 1.3 billion in 2020. More importantly, every IT category will grow.

Services will grow 9 percent this year to $ 571 billion, followed by hardware at $ 435 billion (10 percent growth) and software at $ 315 billion (13 percent growth).

Global pandemic

It IDC investigation shows that the growth in IT expenditure is mainly determined by the emergence of new workloads such as artificial intelligence, data analytics, data security and the general ‘internet of things’. “The global pandemic increases the need for additional capacity,” said Carolee Gearhart, Google Cloud Channel Chief.

Cloud providers such as Google, Amazon or Microsoft like to see it happen. There is an important shift within companies to a multi-cloud strategy that allows them to better grasp internal data while taking advantage of pay-as-you-go pricing models.

IDC closes the study with an important trend in IT spending over the next five years: ‘Third Platform’. “This is a framework that, according to IDC, will evolve beyond cloud and big data, and includes data-generating mobile and social media services powered by 5G technology. Think of innovation accelerators such as AI, IoT, next-gen security, augmented / virtual reality, robotics and 3D printing. ” The research firm expects this group to grow fastest to 17 percent over the next five years.

Tip: Part IT budget disappears without result due to transparency problems


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here